We recycle & refurbish used and abandoned bikes so that they can be re used or when this isn't possible materials (steel, aluminium) are put into the recycling system.
Refurbished bikes are used in Bikeworks community programmes, given away to community groups & some sold on at affordable prices to the community. Regular Saturday sales of recycled bikes to the public will be starting from April 2008. Contact us for details.
A short film on Bike Reuse at Bikeworks
Our environmental policy means that we aim to buy in very few spares, and the ones that we do buy are ones that we are unable to source from recycled spares, items such as brake blocks and ball bearings, if replaced will be new, otherwise all of the spares and bicycles that we use are refurbished.
- Reduce the volume of waste sent to landfill
- Raise awareness of the need to more carefully manage our resources and not waste 'waste'
- Encourage cycling as a means of sustainable, environmentally friendly transport and reducing reliance on the car
- Provide Social Benefits
- Create intermediate labour market opportunities, offering opportunities to develop transferable skills
- Provide community based opportunities to enable people to develop technical and social skills and build confidence, within the context of a work environment or placement.
- Establish opportunities for training and acquisition of skills and qualifications
- Encourage cycling as a means of promoting good health
- Provide renovated bicycles to groups or organisations, particularly those who would not usually be able to purchase their own due to economic barriers
- Support the Council's recycling and waste management objectives and help to meet recycling targets by reducing the number of bicycles discarded to landfill sites, thus reducing landfill tax charges